Monday, October 26, 2009

Getting to know you, getting to know all about you.

So this first week of work has been a introduction.


On Monday I was given a tour of the mission and my job description.


My job (as I understood it)

Senior program – Mondays and Wednesdays are senior lunches. Esther, my roommate, will cook the lunches and I will coordinate activities. At lest four big activities a year, Tuesday, Oct 27, we will go on a Fall Foliage trip. And maybe a special lunch each month. For example, in February everyone wheres red one day. I will talk with the seniors and have them tell me what they want.


Heath Resource Center - This is a new program that I will be building however I want, with these guide lines: Two educational activities a month. These activities can be anything form a diabetes seminar to eye examinations. I have to make phone calls and see what types of programs health offices offer and if they would be willing to come to the mission and provide a free class. I have my own building to manage, which means clean and organize.

I am excited to get started and see what will come of these programs.

Also everyone has there own area of focus but if one person needs something we are all expected to chip in and help.


On Tuesday I spent some time visiting with each of the staff to grasp a better understanding of the programs offered.

Some things include:

Recycle Rebound - We make door mats out of tires.

Layettes - Bags for new mothers

Day Care - For local children

God's Handiwork - Embroidery and Screen printing

Check out the website for more information. (music starts when you enter the site) http://www.cooksonhillscenter.com/


On Wednesday I went out with Meri, the mission director, to hear her speak. Part of her job is to go to different places, mostly to church to speak to the UMW chapters, and tell the story of the mission. I went with her for a few different reasons. First to see another part of Oklahoma, the tall grass planes. Second, to get to know her better and for her to get to know more about me. Third, so that I could learn more about the mission. Forth, to see what it means to speak about the mission, I have a talk sometime in January. We were out from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm. She spoke at two different churches, which in true Methodist fashion fed us with a Pot Luck. I know one of the reasons God has put me in Cookson is to learn how to tell a story and express my faith from Mari. She is a wonderful story teller. And will be an excellent teacher. I just pray that I can keep my heart and mined open to leaning.

On Thursday I meet with the two women who will be doing drug and alcohol counseling in the resource center. After lunch I then went on an adventure. The ladies want two comfortable chairs for counseling. Meri saw some in a thrift store, so I was tasked to get them. I got lost and ended up going 30 miles out of the way but on the plus side I saw more of the area. I did eventually pick up the chars and make it back to the mission.


Friday- No work. We are open from 9-4 Mon- Turs.



Thanks Be to God: I can go into almost any store and hear country music. I can put it on in the car and not have to apologises for my country!! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment